||[Mar. 19th, 2007|01:11 am]
sgabigbang team five
Okay, I'm going to shamelessly use you wonderful people to help me as my flist has very few SGA/SG1 people on it and I am terrible at remembering or even noticing this stuff. So, questions to aid in bigbang writing. A lot of these are things I've noticed in fanfic, but never noticed in an ep...|
1) When do we first learn of Rodney's citrus problem?
2) Do we actually know anything about Shep's family? Are his parents alive, what they did, anything about his home life?
3) What was it exactly about Afghanistan that got Shep kicked to McMurdo? (I'm good with administrative military stuff, but not so much on missions lingo/rules)
4) What were the circumstances surrounding Rodney's "exile" to Siberia? How did he get to Antarctica? (I've only gotten through seasons one and two of SG1)
5) What do we know about Col. Sumner beyond the fact that Shep doesn't like him?
6) Does McKay actually play piano and if so, what ep does this happen in?
It's 2:30 am, so you may want to double check me on the third answer in particular.
1) In McKay's first appearance on SG-1, in the episode "48 Hours"
3) No official idea. It's generally assumed to be related to going on a (futile) rescue mission against direct orders.
4) See aforementioned "48 Hours". Mostly, he was an asshole and his idea didn't work and he was part of a trade to get Russia's DHD so they could save Teal'c.
5) Well, I happen to think the animosity toward Sumner is more fanon than canon. Sumner was a more traditional (ie, normal) CO, that's all. We didn't get to see much of him at all. The commentary on Rising seems to support this.
Awesome, thank you so very much!!
Sumner was only in Rising, then?
Yeah, that's it. All I can say is that he's the sort of straightforward CO you'd expect in such a posting, and I think a lot of the fandom reads his brief interaction with the Athosians wrong. I mean, from a writing fanfic pov, there are advatages to making Sumner an asshole because it creates conflict and such, so if there's a real good moves-the-fic-along meta-reason for him and Sheppard to be at odds, then I'm all for it (like in They're advertising in the skies for people like us
) but too often I find the move simplistic.
In the commentary for "Rising," which is done by Flanigan and director Martin Wood, they wonder if it's clear enough that Sheppard shooting Sumner was an act of mercy which Sumner himself was asking for. Also, I think they make reference to how Sumner stands back and lets Sheppard liason with Teyla on meeting the Athosians (and assuming their leader was Halling) because Sumner can tell that's going to work best, but I may just be remembering a fannish bit of meta I read somewhere and agreed with.
6) In Redemption (SG-1), he tells Sam that he played the piano, as far as I remember. That's also where he talks about his parents. Helped me figure out A LOT of things about Rodney when I watched that. *g*
You're a lifesaver!! *off to find these McKay eps* :-D
6) Yeah, in "Redemption" he tells Sam that he wanted to be a pianist when he was a kid, but at ten his teacher told him he would never be great--that he was clinically perfect but lacked soul. His point was that Sam is an artist and he is not. (which is no longer true, if it ever was, but he was a one-off foil of a character back then. plus i'm certain he still percieves himself that way--as not an artist, not brilliant in that respect.)
Sam an artist, really? Huh, never would have thought that. But I watch the ep and perhaps that will help. Thanks so much, again!
That's what he says; it's a think-outside-the-box sort of thing. I think I have an .avi file of McKay's scenes in "Redemption," and I could upload it if you want. McKay really seems to fanboy Sam (much the same way Hewlett seems to fanboy Amanda Tapping). I've barely watched SG-1, so I don't have an opinion on Sam herself though.
Haha, he does, doesn't he? I have to wonder, after Carter and Norina why he went after Katie Brown. That's been puzzling me for a few days. Hmm.
Oh, you're so kind! But it's quite alright. I've already dled the needed eps. :-)
*nodnod* My impression was that he didn't go after Katie Brown so much as she went after him. (I re-watched "Duet" a few days ago, and there's at least one reference to "does McKay know it's a date?") Plus, I suspect Rodney pretty much never turns down the possibility of sex.
Did you dl the specifc eps or the whole season? I ask because I'd like to dl "Redemption" in its entiretly, but all the torrents I've found so far are for the season as a whole.
See, I think maybe in the beginning it was Katie, because she liked him yes, but later...(I don't know how far through the show you've seen?) But yeah, McKay's totally a twat. LOL I watched 48 Hours earlier and his reaction to Carter cracked me up. I love that guy. *G*
Just the eps. I'll send you an email in a moment.